At Academic Programs & Planning, we are committed to promoting student success through:
- Partnering with faculty and staff to develop, deliver and continuously improve Academic Programs
- Collaborating with the Academic Senate to develop, implement, and review academic policies
- Engaging the campus leaders in strategic academic planning
- Facilitating academic planning for new and existing degree programs
- Managing the accreditation and program-review process for all of Cal Poly’s academic programs
- Managing the assessment of student learning, especially their achievement of the five core competencies — writing, oral communication, oral communication, quantitative reasoning, information literacy, and critical thinking
- Overseeing the University’s Instructionally Related Activities program
- Developing academic policies in alignment with the Academic Senate
- Implementing system-wide, California State University initiatives
- Making reports to meet all accountability requirements
Mary Pedersen joined the Office of Academic Programs & Planning in October 2011, after serving as Department Chair of Food Science and Nutrition, then as Associate Dean in the College of Agriculture, Food, and Environmental Sciences. Mary oversees academic program development, program review, academic assessment, and assists with the development of Cal Poly strategic processes and CSU policy implementation. She also oversees Library Services, the Center for Teaching, Learning & Technology, The Office of the Registrar, International, Graduate & Extended Education, University Advising, Institutional Research, the university Honors Program and the operational aspects of the General Education program. Mary chairs the Academic Assessment Council and chairs bi-weekly meetings with the associate deans. In addition, she serves on the Academic Senate Curriculum Committee, the Instruction Committee and the General Education Governance Board.
Bruno Giberti joined our office in 2007 as Faculty Director of Cal Poly’s self-study, prepared for the Western Association of Schools & Colleges (WASC). With the reaffirmation of the University’s accreditation for ten years, he left to take positions as Director of the Center for Teaching &California State University Learning and Associate Head of the Architecture Department. In 2012, he rejoined our staff as Faculty Associate for Academic Policies, Assessment, and Accreditation.
With the Senior Vice Provost, he currently shares responsibilities for academic planning, the development and implementation of academic policies, the development and review of academic programs, and the maintenance of the university’s regional accreditation. In addition, he provides administrative oversight for university-level assessment, as well as for General Education, the Honors Program, and Service Learning.
Jack Phelan joined our office in July 2015. He oversees University/General Education assessment efforts and provides guidance and support to the academic departments for the annual assessment of program learning objectives/outcomes. Jack chairs the Academic Assessment Council, he provides individual and group training and assessment information to faculty, and he runs assessment training programs in partnership with the Center for Teaching, Learning & Technology.
Administrative Analyst — Academic Policies, Budget, and Instructionally Related Activities
Jessica joined our office in February 2008. She manages the budget, supports Instructionally Related Activities (IRAs), and is the contact for academic policy questions and student academic appeals.
Maureen joined our office in January 2018. Maureen is the first point of contact for the Senior Vice Provost. In this capacity, she will also be assisting with human resources and personnel issues in the departments reporting to the Senior Vice Provost. Maureen will also provide the lead support as we begin the process to reaffirm Cal Poly's WASC accreditation. In addition, she will be supporting various ongoing committees, including the Department Heads and Chairs Learning Community.
Administrative Analyst — Program Development and Program Review
Amy joined our office in August 2016. She coordinates Academic Program Review for the campus as well as new program development and program modification. She supports our Associate Deans' Council, Data Champions, and various professional learning communities.