Cal Poly is currently authorized to offer the following baccalaureate degree programs:
- Bachelor of Arts (BA)
- Bachelor of Science (BS)
- Bachelor of Fine Arts (BFA)
- Bachelor of Architecture (BArch)
- Bachelor of Landscape Architecture (BLA)
A minimum of 180 quarter units is required for all baccalaureate degree programs.
(Title 5, Sections 40500, 40501, 40505, 40507; Amended 8-11-2000)
Maximum number of units
For baccalaureate degree programs in excess of 180 units, a statement justifying the excess units in terms of achieving learning objectives and (as applicable) accreditation requirements may be required. Program faculty are expected to make a good faith effort to limit total units to a number that is at, or as close as possible to, the minimum (180), subject to achieving the program's learning objectives and (as applicable) accreditation requirements. This is a policy of the CSU Board of Trustees.
Suggestions and examples of justification statements:
- Develop a matrix relating major/support courses to the learning objectives for your program.
- Explain precisely why your learning objectives can't be met within 180-unit requirement.
- Provide specific data, for example, on how your program's unit requirements compare to those of peer institutions.
Definition: A major is defined as a program of study that provides students with the knowledge, skills and experience necessary to pursue a specific career or advanced study and leads to a degree in that subject.
Minimum Number of Units Required in the Major
(Title 5, Sections 40500, 40501, 40505, 40507)
BA: 36 units in major, of which at least 18 units are at the 300-400 level
BS / BFA: 54 units in major, of which at least 27 units are at the 300-400 level
BArch / BLA: 68 units in major, of which at least 41 units are at the 300-400 level
Maximum Number of Units in the Major
- determined by subtracting GE units and free electives from the total number of units.
- comprise the basic knowledge in the discipline and are required of all students in the major;
- have the prefix of the major program and/or college; may be from any other prefix or discipline which are required in the major field of study;
- count toward the Major GPA; include common core courses that are at least half of the required number of units in the major;
- may be augmented by a concentration, minor or adviser approved electives;
- which fulfill General Education requirements shall be listed in the major course category with a reference (as an asterisk) to the GE area;
- should include 15 units designated at the 100-200 level.
- are any specified courses that are not listed in the major; do not carry the prefix of the home department, with the exception of advisor/technical/professional electives;
- are optional depending on the nature of the degree program and the judgment of the program's faculty;
- which fulfill General Education requirements shall be listed in the support course category with a reference (as an asterisk) to the GE area.
Upper Division Unit Requirement
- BA at least 60 units of the total bachelor's degree units shall be at the 300-400 level. (Title 5, 40500)
- BS at least 60 units of the total bachelor's degree units shall be at the 300-400 level.
Source: Academic Senate Resolution AS-388-92/CC (PDF) unless otherwise indicated