Instructionally Related Activities
What is an IRA?
An Instructionally Related Activity (IRA) is an "out-of-class experience" that provides enrichment to students and enhances their learning at Cal Poly. Funding for recognized IRAs is provided through student fees. All IRA programs/activities are partially sponsored by an academic dean or department and are "integrally related" to a formal instructional program.
General IRA Information
- List of Recognized IRA Programs
- Criteria for IRA Recognition
- Expenditure Guidelines
- Frequently Asked Questions
- IRA Resource and Operations Guide
Call for Proposals
The call for proposals for the 2019-20 academic year is now closed. The call for new IRA recognition for AY 2020-21 will go out in December 2019, and the call for funding requests for continuing IRAs will be posted in January 2020.
- Requests for IRA recognition and funding are initiated through faculty or staff advisors who submit the proposals to their college. The IRA Advisory Committee reviews all requests for recognition and forwards their recognition recommendations to the campus President. With advice from the College Student Councils, the Deans and VP Student Affairs review new and continuing funding requests and make funding recommendations for the recognized IRAs within their college/area. These recommendations are forwarded, via the IRA Advisory Committee, to the campus President for approval.
- Please bear in mind that the total amount of IRA funding available increases only slightly each year, if at all, and can drop if campus or individual college enrollments drop. Therefore, recognition as an IRA in no way guarantees funding. Potential new activities are encouraged to research those IRAs already operating on campus and, if the activities proposed are similar, to contact the existing activity and discuss the possibility of working together.
- Continuing IRA Recognition/Funding Request (Word)
- Continuing IRA Budget Proposal (Excel)
Complete both the IRA Recognition Request and Budget Proposal forms and submit together to your Dean or to the Vice President Student Affairs for Student Affairs IRAs
Sample Approved Recognition Applications
Proposers may find these helpful in preparing New Recognition Requests and Budget Proposals
- Jessica Carson, Administrative Analyst, Office of Academic Programs
- The IRA Advisory Committee (IRAAC)