Instructionally Related Activities
What is an IRA?
An Instructionally Related Activity (IRA) is an "out-of-class experience" that provides enrichment to students and enhances their learning at Cal Poly. Funding for recognized IRAs is provided through student fees. All IRA programs/activities are partially sponsored by an academic dean or department and are "integrally related" to a formal instructional program.
General IRA Information
- List of Recognized IRA Programs
- Criteria for IRA Recognition
- Expenditure Guidelines
- Frequently Asked Questions
- IRA Resource and Operations Guide
Call for Proposals
Proposals are now being accepted for Continuing IRA recognition and funding for the 2021-22 academic year.
- Requests for IRA recognition and funding are initiated through faculty or staff advisors who submit the proposals to their college or the VP Student Affairs. The IRA Advisory Committee reviews all requests for recognition and forwards their recognition recommendations to the campus President. With advice from the College Student Councils, the Deans and VP Student Affairs review funding requests and make funding recommendations for the recognized IRAs within their college/area. These recommendations are forwarded, via the IRA Advisory Committee, to the campus President for approval.
- Please bear in mind that the total amount of IRA funding available increases only slightly each year, if at all, and can drop if campus or individual college enrollments drop. Therefore, recognition as an IRA in no way guarantees funding. Potential new activities are encouraged to research those IRAs already operating on campus and, if the activities are similar, to contact the existing activity and discuss the possibility of working together.
The passcode, if asked, is D+mxF5Wi
- Continuing IRA Recognition Request (Word) for PC for Mac
- Continuing IRA Budget Proposal (Excel) for both PC and Mac
Complete both an IRA Recognition Request (PC or Mac version) and a Budget Proposal form, sign and obtain your Director or Department Head/Chair's signature, and submit together via Adobesign to your Associate Dean or, for Student Affairs IRAs, to the Vice President of Student Affairs. Send to yourself and then, using their Cal Poly email addresses, to your Director/Department Head/Chair and your Vice President or Associate Dean in charge of IRAs for your unit - see list below. The administrative support staff for your department should be able to help you with Adobesign or please refer to the following link for a tutorial: How to Send a Document for Signatures with Adobesign. Adobesign can be found in the list of My Apps on your Cal Poly portal page.
Important Deadlines to submit forms to your VP or Dean's/Associate Dean's Office:
- March 4, 2021 for CONTINUING recognition and funding requests for currently recognized IRAs
- 2021 Timeline for Proposals / Approvals
- Need help? Have questions? Contact Jessica Carson, Administrative Analyst, Office of Academic Programs and Planning