Instructionally Related Activities
What is an IRA?
An Instructionally Related Activity (IRA) is an "out-of-class experience" that provides enrichment to students and enhances their learning at Cal Poly. Funding for recognized IRAs is provided through student fees. All IRA programs/activities are partially sponsored by an academic dean or department and are "integrally related" to a formal instructional program.
General IRA Information
- List of Recognized IRA Programs
- Criteria for IRA Recognition
- Expenditure Guidelines
- Frequently Asked Questions
- IRA Resource and Operations Guide (PDF)
Call for Proposals
Proposals are now being accepted for first-time and continuing IRA recognition for the 2018-19 academic year.
- Requests for IRA recognition and funding are initiated through faculty or staff advisors who submit the proposals to their college. The IRA Advisory Committee reviews all requests for recognition and forwards their recognition recommendations to the campus President. With advice from the College Student Councils, the Deans and VP Student Affairs review funding requests and make funding recommendations for the recognized IRAs within their college/area. These recommendations are forwarded, via the IRA Advisory Committee, to the campus President for approval.
- Please bear in mind that the total amount of IRA funding available increases only slightly each year, if at all, and can drop if campus or individual college enrollments drop. Therefore, recognition as an IRA in no way guarantees funding. Potential new activities are encouraged to research those IRAs already operating on campus and, if the activities proposed are similar, to contact the existing activity and discuss the possibility of working together.
Deadlines to submit forms to your Dean's office:
- January 31, 2018 for NEW IRA proposals
- March 9, 2018 for CONTINUING recognition and funding requests for currently recognized IRAs
- 2018 Timeline for Proposals / Approvals (PDF)
- IRA Call for New Proposals Memorandum (PDF)
- New IRA Recognition Request (WORD)
- New IRA Budget Proposal (EXCEL)
- Continuing IRA Recognition Request (WORD)
- Continuing IRA Budget Proposal (EXCEL)
For New or Continuing, complete both the pertinent IRA Recognition Request and Budget Proposal forms and submit together
Sample Approved Recognition Applications
Proposers may find these helpful in preparing New Recognition Requests and Budget Proposals
- Jessica Carson, Administrative Analyst, Office of Academic Programs
- The IRA Advisory Committee (IRAAC) (PDF)