UPDATE — September 2, 2020:
- Please visit the CTLT's webpage for syllabus statement guidance specific to COVID-19 here: www.ctlt.calpoly.edu/syllabus-statements-covid-19.
- Other syllabus statements can be found here: www.ctlt.calpoly.edu/syllabus-statements.
Every instructor shall make available to each student in her/his class, during the first class meeting, a written course syllabus providing:
- Instructor's contact information including office hours and office location
- A list of required text(s) and supplementary material for the course
- Methods and expectations for assessing/grading student performance for the course
- Attendance requirements and make up policy (if applicable)
- The course learning outcomes, if not communicated to students by some other means appropriate to the course
- Other information the instructor deems necessary to assure the student's understanding of the nature, requirements, and expectations of the course; and be it further
Every instructor shall be required to spend a portion of the first meeting of the class discussing the course syllabus.
Faculty have final responsibility for grading criteria and grading judgment and have the right to alter student assessment or other parts of the syllabi during the term.
This policy shall be included in the Faculty Handbook.
This policy shall be communicated to all faculty at least once each year by the Provost or her/his designee.