Credit / No Credit Grading
- Each student can elect to take up to a total of 16 units for credit.
- Classes taken credit/no-credit do not have an impact on GPA. This option refers to courses that are normally regular graded courses. (For classes only offered as credit/no-credit, this does not apply.)
- The student must have a 2.0 Cal Poly GPA. (First quarter/incoming freshman are exempt from this GPA restriction.) The quarterly selection of CR / NC cannot exceed more than 8 units or two classes.
- If a "C-" or better is earned, the student will receive credit (cr) for the course. If a "D+" or lower is earned, the student will receive a no-credit (nc) for the course and units will not be earned/given.
- Graduate Students:
- If a "B-" or better is earned, the student will receive credit (cr)for the course. If a "C+" or lower is earned, the student will receive a no-credit (NC) for the course and units will not be earned/given.
- CR/NC Selection Deadline
- Each student is responsible for monitoring the requirements/ limitations below:
- maximum of 4 units towards major/support area (student MUST have approval from Major department).
- maximum of 4 units towards GE courses.
- Remaining units (to a maximum of 16) may be used for elective units.
- IT IS THE STUDENT'S RESPONSIBILITY to ensure that these limitations are met.
Source: AS-479-97/CC Resolution on Credit / No Credit Grading (pdf)
In the Catalog: This policy is also included in here in the Cal Poly Catalog, which may also include certain procedural considerations.