- Proposals for new courses are developed by faculty and then submitted to the department head on a Course Proposal form (see Propose a New Course in the Curriculum Handbook on the Registrar's website).
- Department chair/head reviews and forwards the proposal to department curriculum committee for review and recommendation, and then he/she forwards the proposal, with a recommendation, to the college dean and college curriculum committee.
- College curriculum committee reviews the course proposal and forwards the proposal, with a recommendation, to the College Dean.
- College dean reviews the proposal and forwards the proposal, with his/her recommendation, to Office of the Registrar for review.
- Department forwards Course Proposal (with revisions, as determined by Office of the Registrar) to Academic Senate Curriculum Committee (ASCC) for review.
- ASCC forwards recommendation on the Course Proposal to Academic Senate.
- Academic Senate forwards recommendation to the President.
- New courses appear in the Cal Poly catalog.