Online Teaching and Learning
The review of existing face-to-face courses being taught in online modality has been temporarily suspended due to the COVID-19 pandemic. Please review AS-895-20 "Resolution on Suspending eLearning Addendums" for more information.
The following policy applies to new course proposals.
The Academic Senate passed the "Resolution on Online Teaching & Learning" on May 19, 2020 (AS-896-20). This resolution rescinds and replaces the "Resolution on eLearning Policy" (AS-750-12), while approving the attached "Online Teaching & Learning Policy at California Polytechnic State University, San Luis Obispo" (pdf).
Within the policy are the following sections:
- Modality Designations
- Face-to-Face Course, Traditional (FT)
- Face-to-Face Course, Online (FO)
- Local Course, Online (LO)
- Remote Course, Online (RO)
- Hybrid Course (HY)
- Flexible Course (FL)
- Credit Hours
- Faculty Responsibility for Curricular and Quality Control
- Removal of eLearning Addendum
- University Resource Requirements
- Student Training
- Faculty Training
- Technical Support
- Testing Services
- Information and Facility Services
- Student Services
- Student Evaluations
- Assessment of Online Education Courses and Programs
- Contracting and the Use of Outside Resources
- Intellectual Property Rights
- Course Descriptions and Advertising Guidelines
- Online Education Course and Program Funding
- Use of Online Education Technologies is Optional
- Applicability of Resolution
- Summary of Policies and Policy Recommendations Established in Resolution
Source: AS-896-20 "Resolution on Online Teaching & Learning" (pdf). 19 May 2020.
Procedures: The Office of the Registrar has outlined the steps required to propose a new or modified course for online teaching here.