Department Name Change
The following policy and procedure outlines how a department can change its name:
- A department requesting a change of its name should first reach out to Academic Programs and Planning to begin the process for a department name change.
- The department will then send to their college dean a memorandum providing the rationale for the proposed name change.
- If the dean supports the proposal, they will receive recommendations, support letters, and/or other relevant memoranda on the request from the college council and Academic Senate college caucus.
- The dean will prepare their own recommendation, and then send the above materials to the Provost.
- The Provost will ask for a recommendation on the proposed name change from the Academic Senate and the academic deans' council.
- The department will ask for the proposal (with all attachments) to be placed on the Academic Senate consent agenda.
- The Provost will approve or disapprove the proposed name change after considering the recommendations of the college council, the dean, the academic deans' council and the Academic Senate.
Academic Senate Resolution: AS-328-89 "Resolution on Department Name Changes" (PDF). Adopted 14 November 1989.
Last updated: 7/17/2023