Below are some resources to use in the assessment process. This is not an exhaustive list and will evolve over time.
The American Association of Colleges and Universities (AAC&U) launched an initiative to support student learning in higher education. This program — the Valid Assessment of Learning in Undergraduate Education (VALUE) — is an authentic approach to assessment designed to articulate and measure the skills, abilities and dispositions that students need and that policymakers and employers demand. VALUE rubrics are open educational resources (OER) that enable educators to assess students’ original work to evaluate student performance reliably and verifiably across 16 broad, cross-cutting learning outcomes. Below is a list of the 16 VALUE rubrics:
- Civil Engagement - Local and Global
- Creative Thinking
- Critical Thinking
- Ethical Reasoning
- Foundations and Skills for Lifelong Learning
- Global Learning
- Information Literacy
- Inquiry and Analysis
- Integrative Learning
- Intercultural Knowledge and Competence
- Oral Communication
- Problem Solving
- Quantitative Literacy
- Written Communication
Best Practices in Assessment
- Creating a Curriculum Map (PDF)
- Choosing Assessment Methods (PDF)
- Analyzing and Reporting Assessment Results (PDF)
- Using Assessment Results for Program Improvement (PDF)
General Assessment Guidelines/Articles
- Principles of Good Practice for Assessing Student Learning (PDF)
- Learning Outcomes Assessment Planning Guide (PDF)
- Program Learning Outcomes (PDF)
- Benefits of Assessment (PDF)
- Assessment Glossary (PDF)
Cal Poly Assessment Resource pages
- Cal Poly Center for Teaching, Learning and Technology (CTLT) website
- Cal Poly Academic Assessment website
- Cal Poly Academic Program Review website
- Academic Senate Resolution: AS-858-18: Resolution on Course Criteria for GWR-Certified Upper-Division Courses Across the Curriculum. (PDF). Adopted 27 November 2018.
- Academic Senate Resolution: AS-860-19: Resolution on Senior Project Policy. (PDF). Adopted 22 January 2019.
WSCUC Resource pages
State of California Assembly Bill 928: AB-928: Student Transfer Achievement Reform Act. (PDF). Approved 6 October 2021.
CSU Executive Order: EO 0665 Graduation Writing Assessment Requirement Determination of Competence in English. (PDF). Revised 22 August 2023.
CSU Executive Order: EO 1110 Assessment of Academic Preparation & Placement in 1st Year Gen Ed Written Communications & Mathematics/Quantative Reasoning Courses. (PDF). Revised 20 Oct 2017.
Last updated: 11/21/2023